What is Client/Server Database Model?
The terms client/server can be used to refer to very general concepts or specific items of hardware or software. Technically, it refers to any two cooperating processes.
Aclient is any component of a system that requests services or resources from other system components.
A server is any system component that provides services or resources to other system components.
For example, when you print a document from your workstation on a network, the workstation is the client and the print spooling machine is the server.
In a client/server model, the database server is responsable for the following:
- Processing data modification and retrieval requests.
- Performing data-intensive processing.
- Enforcing all database rules and constrains.
- Enforcing data security.
In a client/server model, the database client is responsable for the following:
- Presenting the data to the user in an easily and useful format.
- Providing an interface to the various tools, data, and reports.
- Submitting requests to the server.