What is Application Software?
Application software uses the computer capabilities to perform a specific task. Application software allows manipulate text, numbers, graphics and audio or video files. Application software is often used for commercial purposes, it is found in education, business and health sectors.
Application software is also known as “application” or “app”. Some examples of application software are Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office PowerPoint, Adobe Reader and Internet Explorer. Most of users are familiar with some kind of application software, since generally many of us have used some kind of computer application.
There are different types of application software; the most important ones are listed below:
- Word Processing Software: The main purpose of this type of software is the creation and manipulation of documents. Examples are Microsoft Word, Word Pad, and Notepad.
- Database Software: The purpose of this type of application program is to organize and manage data so that it can perform analysis. Examples are: Microsoft Access, dBase, FoxPro and Oracle.
- Spreadsheet Software: Used to maintain an organized usually numerical data in order to obtain budgets, financial statements, sales records or other calculations. Examples are Microsoft Excel, Lotus 1-2-3 and Numbers (Mac).
- Multimedia Software: This type of software allows users to create or process audio and video files. Examples are games, and other Microsoft media player.
- Presentation Software: They are used to display graphics, text and statistics presentation using slides. The best example of this type of software is Microsoft PowerPoint application.